Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk (I used Silk)
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans French cut green beans, drained
- 1 1/3 cups french fried onions, divided (I used French’s)
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (don’t use no-sodium vegetable bouillon unless you want a very bland casserole)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion, finely grated
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (I used cremini)
- 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots, thawed (If you use fresh carrots, steam them first)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. sage
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a saucepan, heat the unsweetened soymilk and vegetable bouillon over medium-low heat. Stir until the bouillon cubes dissolve. Turn heat to low.
In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions, mushrooms, and carrots. Saute on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the pepper, garlic powder, and sage and stir. Turn off heat.
Combine the cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl. Use a fork or small whisk to mix well. While stirring the soymilk mixture, add the cornstarch and water. Turn the heat up to medium and stir until it thickens. Add the green beans, the mushroom mixture, and 2/3 cup French fried onions. Stir well. Pour into a casserole dish and top with the remaining 2/3 cup French fried onions.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.