Penne Pasta with White Beans, Zucchini, Tomatoes, and Spinach
- 1 lb. whole wheat penne (we didn’t use whole wheat)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon pepper seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into quarter moons
- 10 oz. baby spinach (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Steam zucchini until tender.
In the meantime, warm 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and 1/4 tsp. salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
Warm remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beans, spinach, zucchini, tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add pasta to sauce, stirring in reserved pasta cooking water 1 Tbsp. at a time, to reach desired consistency. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and top with bread crumbs.