- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup minced white or yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen cut Italian green beans
- 1/4 cup minced celery (about 1/2 stalk)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2-15oz. cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2-15oz. cans small white beans or great northern beans, drained
- 1-14oz. can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1-14oz. can crushed tomatoes (I used half of a 28oz. can)
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parley, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta
- 1/4 cup quinoa, optional
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
Add vegetable broth, red wine, diced and crushed tomatoes, drained beans, carrot, hot water, and spices.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Add red wine vinegar, spinach, pasta, and quinoa (if using) and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
So, gather up some family and friends, make a big pot of this soup, and enjoy the wonderful times that can be had around a table filled with good food.