How to become a vegan?
You don’t know how to become a vegan? This process may seem more difficult than it seems, since it involves the elimination of all animal products from your diet, your clothes and your cosmetics; that’s why in this post we give you some guidelines that will help you become a vegan and that will not be a problem for you.
- 1 What is Veganism?
- 2 First step in becoming a vegan
- 3 Tips for Becoming Vegan
- 3.1 1. Go at your own pace
- 3.2 2. Don’t lose nutrients
- 3.3 3. Focus on fruits and vegetables
- 3.4 4. Keep a positive attitude
- 3.5 5. Don’t Tell People You Know
- 3.6 6. Ask for help
- 3.7 7. Remember the reasons
- 3.8 8. Don’t Give Up
- 3.9 9. Try New Things
- 3.10 10. Kitchen ahead
- 3.11 11. Vegan Sandwiches
- 3.12 12. Vegan Restaurants
- 3.13 13. Incorporate supplements into your diet
What is Veganism?
Veganism is a lifestyle that eliminates all animal products, whether for food, medicine, cosmetics or clothing. In addition, there are many health benefits to betting on a vegan lifestyle; for example, it decreases the chances of heart disease and reduces the risk of cancer.
It also helps prevent type 2 diabetes, reduces blood pressure, decreases asthma symptoms, and promotes bone health. In addition to the health benefits, many people convert to veganism because they do not agree with animal abuse and want to help improve the environment. If you want to become a vegan, here is all you need to know to do so.
First step in becoming a vegan
The first thing you should do before you become a vegan is learn as much as possible about this new lifestyle:
- Learn the advantages of the vegan lifestyle and discover the reality of animal production. Many books or documentaries can help you with this task.
- Learn how to get all the nutrients you need from plants.
- Start reading ingredient lists for products to find out if they are vegan or not.
- Research the restaurants and stores that offer vegan products in your area.
Add to Your Diet Before Removing Foods
Change cannot happen overnight, so before you take away food it is best to start adding new ones to your diet:
- Start by incorporating more whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, beans and tofu into your diet.
- Discover quick and easy to prepare vegan foods, like the ones you can find on our blog.
- Try different vegan recipes to see which ones you like best.
- Substitute lactose-free cow’s milk, such as almond or soy milk.
- Change the traditional cheese for one made from soy, cashew and other dry products.
Start planning the transition
This point is very important, because your nutrition will depend on it; there are different ways to make the transition from a non-vegetarian to a vegan diet. Here are the most common.
- First vegetarian and then vegan: you can start by removing all meat and fish from your diet, but keep dairy, honey and eggs. When you feel comfortable you can go ahead and eliminate them too and become a vegan.
- Slow transition: start decreasing your intake of animal foods and increasing your intake of plant products; you will have to do this until you have completely eliminated animals from your diet.
- Complete Vegan: completely eliminate all animal-derived ingredients from your diet, incorporating plant products instead.
Find vegan recipes
Converting to veganism doesn’t just mean eating salads; there are now a wide variety of recipes that you can innovate and experiment with in your kitchen. They are also ideal for impressing your guests with a delicious vegan dessert, for example.
Tips for Becoming Vegan
Here are some tips that can help you become a vegan without any problems:
1. Go at your own pace
Every person is a world, so it’s important to take things slowly and go at your own pace. The only thing you need to keep in mind is your ultimate goal; it doesn’t matter if you need more or less time. Some people manage to become vegan overnight, others need more time to get used to the changes.
A good way to start is by making small changes to your daily food. For example, you can start by removing meat or dairy one day a week and replacing it with vegetable products. You can also try eating a vegan breakfast the first week and then add lunch, and so on. There are many alternatives, you just have to choose the one that best suits your tastes and needs.
2. Don’t lose nutrients
It is important that you plan your diet well so that you don’t lose nutrients. There is a wide variety of healthy plant foods available today that include all the vitamins and nutrients you need. The Institute of Medicine recommends that women take 46 grams of protein daily, while men should take 56 grams. To get them, you need to have a varied diet with vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, soy protein and the like.
3. Focus on fruits and vegetables
To get started, it’s best to focus on fruits and vegetables, so you’ll be eating healthier whole foods with the nutrients and antioxidants you need.
Vegetables are full of vitamins A and K, as well as minerals like potassium, so they keep your calories in check and are high in fiber, so you can feel more satisfied.
4. Keep a positive attitude
It is important that you have a positive attitude and think about all the rich and delicious foods you are trying; you should avoid thinking about those foods you are giving up. Also, some of your favorite foods may be vegan.
5. Don’t Tell People You Know
In this way, you will avoid questions and assessments from others about your new lifestyle, and also avoid discussions and topics of conversation that can be annoying.
6. Ask for help
Nowadays, there are different support groups that can help you to know more products, recipes and vegan restaurants; moreover, if you have any doubt you can ask in different groups in social networks and the users will solve them.
7. Remember the reasons
It is important that you always keep in mind why you have chosen that lifestyle and the benefits that led you to become a vegan. It’s normal to have a bad day and want to give it all up; at that time, it’s important to read books or watch videos that remind you of the reasons why you converted to veganism.
Another good option is to spend time with traditionally bred animals, so that you can reaffirm your commitment to the animal world and the environment.
8. Don’t Give Up
Your friends or family may not accept this new lifestyle, so it’s important that if you believe in your decision to become a vegan, you don’t give up and stick to your ideas.
9. Try New Things
Don’t hesitate to try new foods and flavors; in our blog you can find countless vegan recipes that you are sure to love. No matter what your culinary preferences are, on our website you will find incredible dishes made with vegetable products. In this way, you can discover a wide variety of foods that you can easily prepare and with which you will be able to leave your comfort zone.
10. Kitchen ahead
One of the biggest problems these days is lack of time, so many people go to the first thing in the fridge, even if they don’t have any vegan food. To avoid this, the best thing to do is to make a big pot of vegan soup or whatever recipe you want; this way, whenever you go to the fridge and are hungry you will have a vegan food at your disposal.
11. Vegan Sandwiches
The snacks don’t have to be just meat products; you can make them with toasted almonds, hummus, berries with soy yogurt, peanut butter or blue corn chips and salsa, among other options. There are many vegan sandwiches available and in our blog you will find different recipes to choose from.
12. Vegan Restaurants
One of the biggest problems when dining out is the restaurant’s menu. These days there are many wonderful businesses that have vegan food for you to choose from, so before you go out to dinner it is important to check the menu of the place you are going to, to confirm that they have dishes you can eat there.
13. Incorporate supplements into your diet
You will most likely need a vitamin B12 supplement, since it is a vitamin that is only obtained from animals, not plants; however, although to a lesser extent, you can get these vitamins from fortified foods, such as cereals or vegetable milk. That’s why it’s important to talk to your family doctor about whether you need to take a supplement or what foods you can eat to help you get this vitamin.
Now that you know everything about becoming a vegan, what are you waiting for to take this step in your life?