Adapted from a Southern Living recipe.
- 1 package Smart Ground or Boca Crumbles
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 box (13.25 ounces) uncooked whole wheat linguine
- 1- 12 oz. container Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream (a.k.a. Sour Supreme)
- 1- 8 oz. container Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- nonstick cooking spray
(Green onions from our winter garden.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Add Smart Ground, tomatoes, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, and sugar to a large pot on the stovetop. Cook over medium heat, stirring to break up Smart Ground. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Place pasta in the greased baking dish.
Stir together sour cream, cream cheese, nutritional yeast, and green onions. Spread over pasta. Top with tomato sauce mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 5 minutes.
*Note: This would also be great with some mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach added to it. The next time I make it, I’ll add these ingredients and post the outcome.
We ate the baked linguine with a simple side salad made of Romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce, and spinach–all from our winter garden–and dressed with Annie’s Natural Tuscany Italian dressing. Delicious!